Monday, October 17, 2011

50 is not enough(Laurel plans)

(This was an email written to friends on 14MAR2007 that I thought was worth sharing for perspective in my early ultra running. Funny how perspective changes, especially considering I have since attempted three 100 milers. Unfortunately they have all been DNFs so I will be attempting another one next October at Oil Creek.)

Just like the subject says, 50 is not enough. I have not only officially decided to do another 50 miler, but I have decided to step it up to a 70 miler as well. Part of the reason for this is because I have had enough time to forget the pain and soreness I had after finishing the JFK 50 Miler and another part of it is that I am just sick. I finish/complete something and I appreciate what I have accomplished for a while, but then I get the urge to take on the next challenge. In a way I say to myself, What's next? It is this type of attitude that leads many of you to feel I will never retire from running marathons and above and will eventually lead to me running an 100 miler, though I swear I have absolutely no intentions of running an 100 miler. The 70 miler was already a consideration before.

Another reason for me running it is because they give me a very generous 22 hours to complete it. Worst case scenario I can walk a marathon in under 7 hours(3x7=21 and it is seven miles less than 3 marathons) so regardless of terrain I will complete it. The final reason for me doing it is cause of the Jungfrau marathon. It is such a challenging and humbling marathon that just completing it gives you a huge confidence boost to your other physical endeavors. If you can run a regular marathon in 4.5 to 5 hours or faster, then go ahead and challenge yourself to try and complete the Jungfrau in 6.5 hours. It is not as easy as it sounds.

The 70 miler is the Laurel Highlands 70 Mile and the 50 miler I am looking at is the Mountain Masochist 50 Miler. If you missed out on the JFK 50 Miler with us last year or have a desire to get in on the madness this year please do and let me know. All are welcome. I'll even throw in a RW training program to show you just how easy it is. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--7556-0,00.html I would love to see all or any of you again. Of course we are still hoping/planning to reunite at the 2008 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. I pray to see you guys again before then, but if nothing else I pray to see you again in January 2008.

Current 2007 Plans

I do have some events scheduled on my 2007 calender. I plan to retire from running distances longer than half marathons after doing the 2008 Goofy Challenge so I am trying to finish up the marathons this year. My reason for retiring from them is so I can focus more on multi sport events. I would ideally like to crack the 4 hour mark for a marathon again, but my best shot is the Country Music Marathon as the other 2 are challenging.
28 APR Nashville, TN- Country Music Marathon
2 JUN Coudersport, PA- God's Country Marathon
9 JUN Johnstown, PA- Laurel Highlands 70 Mile
14 JUL Boone, NC- Grandfather Mountain Marathon
2 SEP Virginia Beach, VA- Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon
8 SEP Punxsutawney, PA- Groundhog Fall 50K
3 NOV Lynchburg, VA- Mountain Masochist 50 Miler
2008
12-13 JAN Walt Disney World- Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge


Run Happy,
Mick Quen

No comments:

Post a Comment